S&TA in the media
Media coverage to 9 December
- Rick Stein urged to re-think his backing for salmon farm after conservation concerns
- Loch Duart - off the menu?
- Top chefs urged to examine environmental record of farmed salmon.
- 8 December 2015 - The Times (Scotland): Stars told to stop backing fish farm
Media Coverage to 18 November
Latest media coverage to 7 October
- Anglers in new attack on fish farming amid claims salmon stocks are falling (From Herald Scotland)
- The Scotsman
- BBC Radio Scotland - Newsdrive, 06/10/2015.
Interview starts at 55.25 mins...
Media Coverage to 29 September
Trout & Salmon October coverage
22 August. Drafting statement on the utter inadequacy of Scottish Government's ambitions regarding spring salmon conservation, following SG's announcement of a consultation on the same.
18 August. Catastrophe of salmon farm 'sea-lice soup' hits juvenile salmon and sea-trout across huge area of the west coast and western isles
S&TA(S) congratulates local council for principled planning decisions to safeguard wild salmon and sea-trout but castigates Minister for allowing wild salmon catastrophe to continue on his watch
- 18/8. http://www.fishnewseu.com/scottish-news/12837-a-matter-of-lice-and-death.html
- 18/8. http://forargyll.com/2014/08/sea-lice-soup-threatens-juvenile-salmon-as-stas-condemn-ministers-lack-of-action-and-praise-highland-council/
- 18/8. www.flyfishing.co.uk "Sea lice out of control on Scotland's west coast, say S&TA".
- 19/8. Press and Journal. "Fish farm closure call over lice: killer parasites out of control on half Scotland's operations - claim".
Autumn 2014. Trout& Salmon - News Reel. "Governments urged to save salmon".
13 August. Conservation organisation calls on Scottish Ministers to act now to limit salmon exploitation in response to the worst runs in decades.
- 13/8. BBC Radio Scotland. HCA interviewed (12.50 pm).
- 13/8. http://forargyll.com/2014/08/call-for-scottish-government-to-limit-salmon-netting-after-worst-runs-in-decades/
- 13/8. http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/scots-salmon-numbers-dwindle-catch-limits-urged-1-3508676
- 14/8. AGS interviewed on BBC Radio Highland.
- 14/8. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/314744/salmon-runs-one-of-the-worst-in-living-memory-claims-conservation-group/
- 14/8. http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/fishing-group-fears-salmon-crisis-in-angus-river-1.522531
- 14/8. The Times. "Calls for a coastal netting quota to save salmon stocks".
- 15/8. www.flyfishing.co.uk "Poor 2014 Scottish salmon run demands immediate cessation of salmon nets say S&TA".
- 19/8. Fis.com "Conservation organisation calls on Scottish Ministers to act now to limit salmon exploitation in response to worst runs in decades".
- 22/8. fishandfly.com "UK's S&TA calls for new limits on salmon exploitation in response to worst runs in decades".
Conservation organisation submits complaint to Europe over Scottish Government’s failure to assess impact of salmon netting.
Netting catch of salmon in Scotland leaps by massive 50% in 2013
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0419h85/Newsdrive_30_04_2014/ (Hugh Campbell Adamson interviewed from 1 hr 42 mins..)
- http://news.stv.tv/north/273494-salmon-and-trout-association-accuses-government-over-net-killings/ (Hugh Campbell Adamson interviewed)
- 29.04.14 Netting catch of salmon in Scotland leaps by massive 50% in 2013. Scottish Government is presiding over "unrestricted wholesale slaughter".
- 29.04.14 Fish and Fly. "Scottish salmon nets take 50% more fish in 2013".
- 29.04.14 http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-news/scottish/45-scottish/12312-netsmen-entangled-in-salmon-row.html
- 30.04.14 The Times. "Ministers accused of sanctioning wholesale salmon slaughter".
- 30.04.14 Press & Journal. "Major slump in salmon catches".
- 30.04.14 BBC Radio Scotland. Newsdrive (from 1 hr 42 min..) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0419h85/Newsdrive_30_04_2014/
- 30.04.14 STV News (both 6 pm and 10.30 pm broadcasts) http://news.stv.tv/north/273494-salmon-and-trout-association-accuses-government-over-net-killings/
- 01.05.14 The Courier http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/government-accused-of-allowing-south-esk-salmon-slaughter-1.345944
- 02.05.14 The Times. Letters. "Nets v rods".
Fish Farm Parasites Eating Sea Trout Alive
- Fish-farm parasites eating Wester Ross trout alive, Scotmans.com, 3rd July
- Report says fish-farm parasites are eating wild sea trout alive in Wester Ross, Herald Scotland, 4th July
- Wild trout ’eaten alive by sea lice from fish farms‘, The Times, 4th July
Marine Scotland Science
Chemical Pollution of the Seabed Continues
- Press & Journal, 14 June.Click here to view the full story
Marine Harvest Seeks ASC Certification
- Scotmans, 21 May: Marine Harvest urged to love salmon cages
- BBC News, 21 May: Salmon firm Marine Harvest faces calls to move fish farms
- The Guardian, 21 May: Marine Harvest agrees to limit pesticides and seal killings
- For Argyll, 20 May: Good news from salmon farming sector: Marine Harvest breaks ranks and seeks ASC certification
S&TA(S) report Sainsburys to ASA and TS
- Evening Telegraph, 21 May: Sainsbury's accused on salmon mislabelling
- UnderCurrentNews, 20 May: Sainsbury's apologises for salmon packaging error
- Sainsbury's admit 'mislabelling' Scottish salmon
- Sainsbury's accused of misleading salmon adverts
- Express and Star, 21 May: Sainsbury's accused on salmon label
- Herald Scotland, 21 May: Sainsbury's admit salmon mis-labelling
- Hebrides News, 20 May: Sainsburys wrongly labels salmon as from Hebrides
- Financial Times, 20 May: Sainsburys caught over salmon labelling
- ForArgll.com, 20 May: Salmon & Trout Association reports Sainsburys to Advertising Standards – and gets apology
- Sainsbury's admit Scottish salmon labelling error
- Sainsbury's challenged over salmon claims
Pesticides from salmon farms poison Scottish lochs
Scottish Salmon Farms Seabed Pollution
- forargyll.com: FoI discosures lead Salmon & Trout Association to identify worrying seabed pollution at Scottish salmon farms
- fishnewseu.com: Sustainable salmon farms under fire
- forargyll.com: Scottish Salmon Producers fight back
- forargyll.com: Seabed salmon farm pollution: S&TA provide figures to negate challenge from SSPO
- Sunday Times 9.9. p11: "Salmon Farms turn seabed into graveyard"
- Sunday Times 9.9. p25: Charles Clover comment: "Dirty Secrets down on the salmon farm"
- The Guardian 11.9: "Scottish fish farmers use record amounts of parasite pesticides"
- The Guardian 11.9: "Chemicals to control salmon parasites"
- BBC Businesss news 11.9: How can Scotland cope with China's salmon demands?
- iPlayer BBC Radio Four: Farming Today 10th September. About 7 minutes into the programme. Guy Linley-Adams discusses the seabed pollution caused by open-net salmon farming (this broadcast is available to listen to for the next four days).
- FishyLeaks 11.9: Scottish Salmons Toxic Toilets Named & Shamed!
- BBC Radio Four: Chinese Salmon